Thursday, June 30, 2011

Why I survived my High School Reunion... and so can you!

Me and Friends during Venice High School (me in black sweater)

Me and Friends at Venice High School Reunion

Being a TRUE  L.A. girl, I graduated from "Venice High", a local Los Angeles Public High School. I am so proud of my Alma Mater, that's where they filmed "Grease", and believe me, MY High School experience felt like something ripped out of a Hollywood Movie.

There were jocks, stoners, nerds, surfers, cheerleaders (I was one!), gang bangers, and yes even BULLYS.
Which brings me to my next point.... fast forward a few years later and its time for my High School Reunion.

At first I was reluctant to go, rationalizing my decision by saying things like "well, I still keep in touch with the people I really want to", "why should I go, life moves on?", and "reunions are for losers".

The truth of the matter is I was still scared of a few "Bully's" that might show up and throw me a punch or two. I'm not talking about a real punch, I'm sure by now they know better (a bully actually threw a punch at me in High School for no reason), but a metaphorical punch. A jab that may hurt my self esteem and may dismantle all the self-esteem building I've done with myself in my 20's and 30's. Something that may dissipate the things I'm finally able to tell myself and actually believe like "yes I'm good enough", "yes I have the right to be successful", "yes I deserve the best life possible". SO STICK IT BULLY. I decided I was way better than that and in the words of Eleanor Roosevelt, "no one can make you feel inferior without your consent".

So off I go, spray tanned and spanxed up. As I walk in, I bumped into my old science teacher, Mr. Siegel. When I was a shy little girl in his science class, he asked me what I wanted to do when I "grew up". I told him a wife and mother. He told me I could do that, but I should also seriously consider a career, he told me I had huge potential. He believed in me.  I was so happy I was able to see him so many years later and tell him how much those words meant to me. And that yes I was a mother but also a successful career woman with Emmys and Travels and so many fun adventures under my belt.  Being able to thank my teacher made all my efforts to attend the reunion worthwhile.

I also got a chance to see my old friends, reminisce about the old times, and catch up on our lives, our kids, our careers. It was just like the good ol' days. I got lost in conversations, laughs, and a drink or two.

And the bullys? They never showed up! I think this time around, they were the ones that were scared.

Moral of the story: There are always bullys in our lives, whether they come in the form of old classmates, bosses, spouses, or yes, even friends. And like they say about scary animals, most of the time they are more scared of us then we are of them.

2 comments:

  1. You were always so sweet... how anyone could've bullied you is beyond me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you wrote this post, I am coming up on my ten year reunion & this really helped me think of it as nothing huge to worry about.

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE COMMMENT ON THIS BLOG BELOW: